Flights to London
Travelling over the pond isn't a short journey to say the least. For instance, Melbourne to London can take roughly 24 hours give or take a few and generally requires a stopover in Asia or Dubai for refuelling. Since the global financial crisis, many flights, including the ones to London have been drastically reduced because everyone was holding onto their money!
You can expect to pay a decent amount of money for the flights, purely for the distance that the plane ride takes you! Because of the long period in the air, it is important to wear compression stockings on the flight to avoid the condition known as DVT (deep vein thrombosis). There are also some easy exercises that you can do to avoid this, which the stewards will show you when you take off.
Accommodation in London
Like most major cities, space is at a minimum and therefore places to rest your head at night are often small in space and harsh on your pocket. However, in saying that, if you are only going for a short amount of time, it is easier to pay the money for a hotel room and be in the middle of the action!
There are, of course, some alternatives to hotels should you wish to save some money. Hostels are quite common in London and you can often find somewhere to sleep at a fraction of the price of a hotel. The only downfall is that you will have to share a bathroom and the room itself.
Where to Go
There are a few key places that just cannot be missed if you are visiting London. Not only do the y epitomise the city, but will also offer you an insight into its culture, traditions and people:
• Big Ben – The famous clock tower is well known for its design and reliability
• Westminster Abbey – The place where Diana married Charles and where England's Kings start and end their reign
• London Eye Ferris Wheel – At 135m tall, it is the world's largest ferris wheel and takes half an hour to go all the way around
• The Tower Bridge – One of the most recognisable bridges, it is a sight to behold when travelling around the town
• Buckingham Palace – Home to the Queen and the guards with the large, fuzzy black hats!
Always remember that when visiting any country, it's important to take out travel insurance to protect yourself financially from theft, illness or loss. For a small outlay, travel insurance can save you thousands!
RichardMylar - About the Author:
Southern Cross Travel Insurance (SCTI) has over 25 years experience as a travel insurance specialist and has a comprehensive portfolio of insurance packages for Australians travelling overseas.